5 pieces sole fillet or any white fish fillet
Grilled Fish Sambal:
5 small sweet red peppers
1 tablespoon tamarind paste
1 tablespoon palm sugar
5 cloves garlic
2 1/2 teaspoons Indonesian sweet soy sauce, or to taste
2 1/2 teaspoons sambal oelek or hot sauce
1/4 teaspoon salt
Grilled Fish Sambal
Prepare the sambal by grinding everything in a food processor. Make sure the sambal paste is well blended and smooth.
Grilling the Fish
Lay a few sheets of banana leaves and the fish fillet on top of the banana leaves. Season the fish with salt and drizzle with oil. Add about 2 – 3 tablespoons of sambal on top of the fish. Spread the sambal evenly. Set the oven for 350F and grill the fish in the oven for 15 minutes. Broil the fish on the top rack for another 6 minutes or until the fish is cooked. Transfer out the fish and the banana leaves and serve immediately. I love the sweet aroma of burnt banana leaves.
Our fairy party is in Featured Submissions on Amy Atlas Blog
Milcah turned to 7. I just wanted to enjoy planning her parties before she grows up and becomes a teenager. This year, Milcah changed her mind 3 times from Tinker Bell to butterfly to fairy party. At the end, it worked well. I am very blessed to have friends who were willing to help me with the party: Cecilia, Michelle, and Clare during the makeup session.
I put a lot of elbow grease into decorating this party. At the end, it was like a fairy dream for Milcah and her friends and that’s all that matters.
The key to this recipe only uses fresh ingredients: salmon, strawberry, mango, mushroom, and herbs from our garden.
- 1.5 lb Salmon, sliced into 3-4 pieces
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 3 tbsp miso paste
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsbp mirin
- 1 cup of water
1. Marinate the salmon with salt, pepper, miso paste, and chopped parsley.
2. Coat the fish with all purpose flour, egg, and bread crumbs.
3. Put 2 tbsp olive oil and 2 tbsp butter in the pan and pan fry the fish for 3-5 minutes on each side.
4. When the fish is cooked, set it on a plate.
5. In the same pan, put 2 tsbp butter and cook the mushroom. Add water, soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, mirin, salt, and pepper. Serve the mushroom sauce on top of the salmon and exotic fruit salad on the side.
- 1 mango, peeled and cut into cubes
- 5 strawberries, cut into cubes
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro
- 4 tbsp distilled vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Fruit salad can be prepared 2 hours before the salmon is cooked. Mix all the ingredients in a bowl, cover it and chill it in the fridge.
Beef oxtail soup is good to eat during cold rainy days in spring.
- 2 lbs Beef oxtail
- 15 baby carrots
- 2 potatoes, chopped into cubes
- 2 tomatoes, chopped into cubes
- 1 Onion
- 1 stalk of Celery with leaves, finely chopped
- Green onion, finely chopped
- 1 can of beef stock
- 1 can of chicken stock
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Crispy fried shallots
- Indonesian sweet soy sauce (kecap manis) to taste
1. Cook the oxtail and water in a pressure cooker for 1 hour.
2. Drain, discard the water.
3. Wash the oxtail in cold water to remove the bits of scum.
4. Scrub the pot clean, boil a water in that pot and add the oxtail, onion, nutmeg, chicken and beef stocks. Lower the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes until the meat is tender
5. Add the carrot and cook for 5 minutes.
6. Add the potatoes, salt and pepper.
7. Let it simmer for about 20 minutes until the vegetables are cooked.
8. Serve in individual serving bowls garnished with Chinese celery, green onion, crispy fried shallots, tomatoes, drops of lime/lemon, sweet soy sauce, and hot sauce.
Happy 1st birthday Amelia!
Amelia celebrated her birthday this past weekend with Elmo themed party. We created this Elmo sculpted cake and Elmo and friends cupcakes to match the party’s theme.
Flavors and fillings included vanilla with strawberry buttercream for the cake and chocolate with peanut butter buttercream and strawberry with strawberry buttercream for the cupcakes.